First tasted this dish at a restaurant. It’s delicious taste made me dig the original recipe. I was surprised to find its Himachali origin as hardly any dishes from that region of India are present on the menu cards of restaurants in Mumbai. The uniqueness of this scrumptious delicacy is the combination of both, mutton & mutton mince cooked with nutmeg powder & other spices. Tried cooking it at home & it turned out fabulous. Happy to share 🙂
Mutton – 1kg
Mutton Mince – ½ kg
Onions – 6
Tomatoes – 3
Beaten Curd – 1 cup
Cashews – 10-12
Mint leaves – 15-20
Dry Kashmiri Chilies – 10
Kashmiri Chili Powder – 1tsp
Reshampatti Chili Powder 1tsp
Cumin Powder -1tsp
Coriander seeds Powder – 2 tsp
Marination & Smoke
Charcoal Pieces – 4
Ginger garlic Paste
- Take medium sized mutton pieces (with Bone) & mutton mince in two separate bowls. Add 1 tbsp of molten butter, 1 tbsp ginger – garlic paste & 1 tsp salt in each bowl & mix thoroughly.
- Heat charcoal Pieces on open gas flame till they turn fiery. Make 2 small cups of aluminum foil & place them in mutton & Mutton Mince bowls each.
- Place fiery red charcoal pieces in each aluminium cup & put a small spoonful of oil in each of them.
- Immediately cover with lid & place a weight on it so that no smoke can escape.
- Let it sit for 15-20 mins.
Rara Garam Masala
Cloves – 5
Black Peppercorns – 12-14
Black Cardamom – 1
Green Cardamoms – 6
Nutmeg Powder – 1 tsp
Mace Blade – 1
Bay Leaves – 2
Cinnamon Pods – 3
- Dry Roast all the ingredients for this on medium flame till fragrant (~1min).
- Immediately turn off the gas & let them cool. Grind into fine powder after cooling.
Cooking Rara Gosht
- Heat thick & wide bottomed pressure cooker & put generous amount of mustard oil into it. After oil is hot, fry all the mutton pieces till golden brown.
- Fry onion slices in another pan till golden brown in regular oil. Transfer them to the mutton once done. Mix well.
- Pour 1-2 cups of water into it; & pressure cook for 3 whistles. After pressure has fallen, open the cooker & put raw chopped tomatoes into the mutton. Mix well & let it cook till tomatoes are completely dissolved in the gravy.
- Meanwhile; boil dry Kashmiri red chilies in water & make fine paste. Add the paste to the mutton along with cumin powder, coriander seeds powder & Kashmiri red chili powder (as Kashmiri red chilies are less spicy).
- After oil begins to separate, add ground paste of soaked cashews, beaten curd & Rara Garam Masala to the mutton. Mix thoroughly. Let the curd cook well till oil separates.
- Add mutton mince, garam masala, reshampatti chili powder, mint leaves, coriander, salt & 1 tbsp of fried onions to it. Stir for 5 mins.
- Add 1-2 cups of water & pressure cook it for 3 more whistles. Once pressure falls, open the cooker & slow cook for another 5-10 mins. Rara Gosht is Ready !!!