Chicken Liver – or Kaleji as it is known popularly, belongs to minority of those very healthy foods which are supremely tasty as well 😉 . Joke apart, It is a rich source of vitamin A, iron, proteins & minerals. It supports the development of immune system, muscles & helps fight Anemia.
When My sister & I were young, our granny used to make it for us especially because off its nutritional value. Even today, at 93, whenever we bring chicken liver, she has to take over the kitchen and cook this insanely tasty dish for everyone.
Chicken Liver 1/2kg
Ginger – garlic paste 2tsp (marinate liver pieces with it for ½ hour)
Onions 2, sliced
Potatoes 2, Peeled & Sliced.
Grated Dry Coconut – 1 tbsp
Red chili Masala
Cloves – 3-4
White Cardamoms – 3-4
Black cardamom – 1
Peppercorns – 7-8
Cinnamon – 2 sticks
Bay leaves – 1
Roast these whole spices in a pan over medium flame for ~ 1 min. Turn off the flame & grind them into a fine powder (except black cardamom) once they are cooled.
Cooking Chicken Liver Masala
- Roast grated dry coconut in the pan on medium flame till it becomes fragrant (~2-3 mins). Turn off the gas, let it cool; & grind it with coriander, water & garam masala powder to make a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in thick bottomed pan. Add black cardamom. Then quickly add onions & sauté on high flame. Once onions start turning golden, turn the heat low, and add asafetida, turmeric powder, red masala, cumin powder & coriander seeds powder into it. Mix well.
- Now add marinated chicken liver pieces & keep stirring on medium flame for ~7-8 mins. Add little water & cook without cover for 10 more minutes. Stir occasionally.
- After liver pieces are almost cooked, add ground dry coconut-coriander paste & thick slices of peeled potatoes. Keep stirring on high flame till it’s almost done. Add salt to the taste.
- Turn the flame low & cover the pan with lid filled with water (to avoid burning). Let it cook till it’s pleasantly fragrant.
Amazing Chicken Liver Masala is Ready 🙂